Thursday, April 12, 2007

PC vs. Mac

OK I was just recently in the market for new computer. I have a three year old ThinkPad that's in the tail end of its three year warranty, and it has gone trough 2 trips to IBM/Lenovo depot to replace its planar/motherboard. So I know that the next time this baby needs repair, I would spend some serious $$$. Not to mention that I am running out of Hard drive space and in need of new battery as currently the battery only last 15 minutes.

So I was sooo tempted to switch to a mac after seeing all those mac vs. PC ads. And I have to admit that the mac looks cooler, and more productive and easier to use out of the box. I was worried that I would have problem with non-compatibilities with the rest of the world (read Windows world). Well, as a geek, I am currently using Firefox as my primary browser. However, more often than not, I am forced to admit defeat and fire up my MS Internet Explorer to view some of those "designed to work only in IE" website.

Well, Macs now can run windows too with its boot camp. However, after hours of research, I don't know how well it works with Vista, the future of Windows world. And switching back and forth between Mac OS to Windows in a "bootcamped" mac is not as easy as pressing alt-tab as I need to reboot.

In the end I gave up the idea and few minutes ago just finished placing an order for a brand new ThinkPad T60. Maybe if I have some more pocket money I would buy one of those cute mac minis.

No comments: